Que faire si vous perdiez votre passeport durant votre séjour au Mexique?


Going on vacation is always something that is fun. Whether you go with friends, family or alone. However, things can get worse if something unexpected happens. Misplacing your passport is arguably one of the worst things that could happen. If such a mishap happens to you, there are certain steps you can take to resolve the situation.

Obviously, it is necessary to contact the embassy or consulate on site. But be aware that there are still different procedures to take if this happens to you. This is precisely what we are going to reveal to you through this article.

Is it possible to return to France without your passport?

Fortunately, it is entirely possible to return to France, even if you have lost your passport during your trip. However, this is only possible if you take the various essential steps before leaving. In particular, you will need to contact the local police and the consulate or embassy in order to report the loss of your document and to obtain the essential papers to return home. We will come back to this later in the article.

Also, it is worth highlighting an important element in case you travel to Quintana Roo. You must, in fact, prove that you have paid the tourist tax. So be careful to take care of the receipt. As a reminder, the tourist tax in question is $38 and must be paid before even setting foot on American soil via Visitax.

Steps to take if you lose your passport during a stay in Mexico

Have you had the unfortunate experience of losing your passport? Whether you misplaced it or it was stolen, these are things that can happen. Other travelers before you and after you have experienced or will experience this. However, you must make arrangements quickly. There are two steps to take in particular:

  • Go to a police office;
  • Go to the local French consulate or embassy.

Go to a police office

One of the emergency things to do after losing your passport is to go to a police office. This process is essential to report the loss or theft of your passport. This is essential to relieve you of liability in the event that your document was used for dishonest or fraudulent purposes.

Note that the Mexican police authorities are represented by the “Ministerio Público”. If you are in Mexico for example, it is advisable to connect to the site www.pgjdf.gob.mx . There you will find the list of addresses where you can go for a loss or theft declaration procedure.

Go to a consulate

You must also go to a French consulate. The objective is to register the declaration of the theft or loss of your passport. You will then obtain a receipt which you will then have to present to renew your document.

Please note that these steps (whether with the police or the consulate) must be taken without delay. Here is the contact to note for the case of the consulate in Mexico: 91 71 97 00. You will be welcomed by this entity in the following periods:

  • Monday to Thursday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
  • Friday from 9 to 11:30 a.m.

You can also inquire or inform the consulate by using a fax: (01 55) 91 71 98 56. There is also the option of sending an email via the address below: https: //mx.ambafrance .org/Contact-us-10369 .

If your mishap occurred in the province, you will have to go to the honorary consulate which is closest to where you are. You can find the list at the following address: https://mx.ambafrance.org/-Les-agences-consulaires- .

Police Station, Cancun, Mexico

How does it work for passport replacement following loss or theft?

First of all, it should be noted that following a declaration of theft or loss of your passport, the consulate will give you a pass. Please note, this can only be used for a return flight to France. In case you were planning to go to another country, you will need a passport. In this case, you will be granted an emergency permit valid for one year.

It is worth noting that it is possible to apply for a new passport at any consulate based in Mexico. If you are not going to do it on site, you can proceed with the process once you have returned to France at a town hall.

If you absolutely have your passport, you must be registered with the consulate. Provided you have all the requested documents, you can submit a passport renewal application the same day you arrive. In particular to obtain a biometric passport, you will find all the required documents at the following address: https://mx.ambafrance.org/Passeport-biometrique-et-Carte-d-identite .

Issuance of a pass

You will therefore be able to return to France with a pass if you have lost your passport and are not yet going to renew it, for one reason or another. However, you should know that there is a specific procedure before obtaining this ticket which will allow you to return home if you have misplaced or lost your passport.

The consular authorities will first verify your identity. They will do the same with your French nationality. All the details on this process will be communicated to you when you contact a French consulate in Mexico.

Please note that to obtain a pass, you will have to pay a fee of 55 euros, payment of which will be made in Mexican pesos.

Useful tips for your trip to Mexico

If no one is safe from unforeseen events, it is still possible to make arrangements in advance, even before leaving on a trip for better management of setbacks.

Before you fly, make a copy or, better yet, scan all the documents you may need for your trip:

  • Passport ;
  • National Identity Card ;
  • Driving license ;
  • Birth certificate ;
  • Insurance certificate…

Also remember to send the scanned copies to your email address. You will then be able to access it quickly and easily and make prints if necessary. At the same time, you will keep a copy of these documents with you at all times. As for the originals, it is better to store them well.

Finally, there is also the “Forma migratoria para Turista” document, a document that you are asked to complete when you arrive in Mexico. You need to make sure you have it in your hands until you leave again. If you no longer have it, you risk a fine of 42 USD at the airport. If you have lost this document, it is also necessary to declare it to the competent authorities.

A lire également